The Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care serves as an information resource center for patient and family leaders, clinicians, administrators, educators, researchers, and facility designers who are interested in advancing the practice of patient- and family-centered care.
The Institute provides consultation, training, and technical assistance to hospitals, clinical practices, educational institutions, architecture firms, community organizations, and agencies at state, provincial, and federal levels. Listed below are some of the services the Institute would be pleased to provide to programs and organizations interested in patient- and family-centered change.
- Conducting a baseline assessment for the practice of patient- and family-centered care.
- Facilitating the development of action plans to advance the practice of patient- and family-centered care and create sustained organizational and cultural change.
- Applying patient- and family-centered principles to policies, programs, facility design, staff practices, and professional education.
- Facilitating and enhancing collaboration with patients and families and across disciplines and settings.
- Developing patients and family advisory councils and other advisory and leadership roles for patients and families.
- Creating partnerships for quality and safety.
- Integrating patient- and family-centered concepts in personnel policies and practices.
- Modifying guest relations and customer service programs to reflect patient- and family-centered principles and strategies.
- Developing or revising methods for gathering information about patients’ and families' perceptions of care.
- Assisting with product development.
- Planning for on-site seminars, conferences, and retreats.
Staff Development and Professional Education
- Conducting training programs on such topics as: best practices and innovations in patient- and family-centered care; creating partnerships for quality and safety; effective communication and collaboration; cross-cultural services; developing peer support and family-to-family support; patients and families serving in advisory roles; and supportive health care environments.
- Designing and implementing comprehensive orientation and staff development programming.
- Integrating patient- and family-centered concepts in medical education and the education of other health care professionals.
Facility Design Planning
The Institute works with health facility planning teams, architects, and interior designers to:
- Facilitate visioning retreats to launch a planning process.
- Share information about effective planning strategies and innovations in design.
- Review goals and design for overall project and for specific spaces within a project for consistency with patient- and family-centered principles and strategies.
- Facilitate the participation of patients and families in planning processes.
- Review planning documents, plans, concepts for interior finishes, furnishings, and decor to make sure they meet the overall goals and needs of all users.
- Provide suggestions for site visits—both places to visit and how to organize effective site visits.
For more information on our services or to request a quote, please Contact Us