Annual Reports of Patient and Family Advisory Councils and Committees
An Advisory Council and Committee annual report is a comprehensive report on the group's activities and accomplishments from the preceding year for the organization, whether it is a hospital, health system, ambulatory program or the long-term care community. Annual reports are intended to give organizational leaders and other interested people information about the collaborative endeavors and organizational activities and to help them understand the Council's and Committee's future direction.
Leaders can set the expectation that a report on the activities of advisors and the process for collaboration will be submitted annually at a minimum. The annual report should track, measure, and celebrate the work of these advisors. The report, if done well, can serve as an educational tool for leaders, health care professionals, and the community. It can also be useful in recruiting advisors. An annual report might include the following:
- The number of patient, resident, and family advisors, as well as their roles, activities, and number of hours served. These hours can be equated to staff FTEs to show the impact that advisors can have on the organization's overall workforce capacity. Report the baseline number of advisors and growth over the year.
- The number and type of clinical areas involving patient, resident, and family advisors.
- The number of staff involved in collaborative endeavors, and their disciplines and departments.
- Names of committees, task forces, and quality improvement teams where patients, residents, and families serve as advisors or in leadership positions (include number of advisors for each workgroup).
- Photographs (or scans) or videos of products, activities, changes in physical spaces to illustrate the story of collaboration.
- Issues identified and how they were addressed, products developed, classes taught, peer support programs coordinated, and other activities. Describe issues, materials, activities, and outcomes (when available). Include any data on financial savings as a result of changes made.
- Meetings held with community leaders, government agencies, potential funders, accreditors, and others.
- Summary evaluations of classes for patients, residents, families, students, staff, physicians, and new employees. Also include:
- Number that participated in classes.
- Quotes or short testimonials from participants in the classes.
- Summary of stories that they shared.
- Listing of all the tangible products developed collaboratively.
- Media activities where advisors are featured, including internal publications, as well as community, state, or national features.
Partnering with Patients, Residents, and Families: A Resource for Leaders of Hospitals, Ambulatory Care Settings, and Long-Term Care Communities
There is no one right way to develop an Annual Report; here for your consideration are a number of examples of Annual Reports of Patient and Family Advisory Committees.
Tree House; A Place for Families
Baystate Children's Hospital Patient and Family Advisory Council
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Patient and Family Advisory Council
- Annual Report for October 2013-September 2014
- Annual Report for September 2012-September 2013
- Annual Report for September 2011-September 2012
Brigham and Women's Hospital Center for Patients and Families
Bronson Patient and Family Advisory Council
Children's Hospital Eastern Ontario
Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics Kansas City
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA
Hebrew Home of Greater Washington, DC Family Council
Health Care for All, Massachusetts
- PFAC 2015—A Review of 2014 Massachusetts Patient & Family Advisory Council Reports
- PFAC 2014—A Review of 2013 Massachusetts Patient & Family Advisory Council Reports
- Patient and Family Advisory Councils—A Review of 2012 PFAC Reports
- Patient and Family Advisory Councils—A Review of 2011 PFAC Reports
Intermountain Primary Children's Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT
BC (Vancouver) Children's Hospital Advisors
Kingston (Ontario, Canada) General Hospital's Patient and Family Advisory Council
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Methodist Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, Memphis, TN
- 2013 Family Partners Council Annual Report
- Family Partners Council Report—Fall 2013
- 2012 Family Partners Council Annual Report
- A Report from Family Partners Council 2011
MultiCare Health System, Tacoma, WA
- Adult Patient & Family Partnership Council
- Mary Bridge Teen Partnership Council
- TFM Patient & Family Partnership Council
- Tree House; A Place for Families
Newton-Wellesly Hospital, Newton, MA
North York General, Toronto, ON, Canada
- Patient and Family Advisors Year in Review 2014
- Patient and Family Advisors Year in Review 2012/2013
The Ottawa Hospital Cancer Program, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Patient and Family Advisory Council Quarterly Report, June 2013 (English)
- Patient and Family Advisory Council Quarterly Report, June 2013 (French)
Advisory committee from the BC Children's Hospital
Partners in Care - The Family Advisory to BC Children's Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Perham Health, Perham MN
Progress West HealthCare Center, O'Fallon, MO
Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN
San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, CA
Sibley Memorial Hospital, Bethesda, MD
South Shore Hospital, South Weymouth, MA
Spectrum Health, Grand Rapids, MI
- Patient and Family Advisory Councils Impact Statement 2013
- Patient and Family Advisory Councils Impact Statement 2012
Suburban Hospital, Bethesda, MD
- Patient and Family Advisory Council Annual Report 2015
- Patient and Family Advisory Council Annual Report 2014
- Patient and Family Advisory Council Annual Report 2013
Thunder By Regional Health Sciences Centre, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
The Valley Hospital, Ridgewood, NJ
- Patient and Family Centered Care 2014 Year-End Report
- Patient and Family Centered Care 2013 Year-End Report
Winchester Hospital, Winchester, MA